Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thank heaven for Modern Medicine


So for those of you who read the previous post, you know that Payge had some warts taken off by beetle poison last friday. First of all I want to apologize for blaming this on the doctor. Her doctor has actually been very helpful and was completely surprised with her reaction to the poison. With that being said...we have had a long 5 days with poor Payge. Saturday she was in pain but the tylenol and ibprofin seemed to take the edge off enough for her to be okay. Saturday night she went to bed around 8 and woke up screaming around 10 p.m. Little did I know that would be the last of her sleep for the next 48 hours, for her and for me:( She would fall to sleep for a few minutes and then she would tense up and start to cry. She would do this for about an hour and then wake up completely for an hour. I was still trying to recover from having the flu at this time which made it even harder to be up with her. John took her about 4 in the morning so I could get some rest. Sunday I kept her home from church an she just sat in my lap for most of the day. We figured that she would have a better night. We were wrong. It was the same as the previous night except the crying and pain was much more intense. I stayed up with her the whole night because I knew John had to work the next day. Monday morning we called the doctor to see if there was anything else that we could give her to help with the pain. I really think he thought that we were just being an over protective parents and told us that it was normal for them to have some pain. After John started to be a little more upset that his daughter was in unbearable pain and that her neck was a complete open burn wound he realized this was not so normal and had us bring her in that afternoon. I stayed home with the other kids because I knew I would just make a complete fool of myself if I went with them. I was completely drained physically and emoitionally and couldn't do anything but cry. While John had her in the office she was shaking and having chills and screaming in pain. He was told she had a temperature of 103.7 even though she had been on tylenol and ibprofin for the past 48 hours. As soon as the doctor walked in he was shocked. He told John he had never had this happen before and he need to get another doctor to look at her as well. They decided that she must have had an allergic reaction and it was more like a severe burn and was infected. They put her on 2 antibiotics and loritab for children. THANK-YOU. When she got home we immeditaley gave her the medications. She was still in pain and crying and was very very feverish. After about 3 minutes, she all of a sudden started to relax. All the tension in her body went away and she was asleep on my shoulder within 5 minutes. What a huge relief. Our child was no longer in complete agony and she was able to rest. We continued to give her the medication through out the night but she was so peaceful. This is by far the most pain I have ever seen in any of my girls. The hardest thing was when I would try to put oinment on her or clean the wounds, she would whisper in a tiny innocent voice, "you hurt me momma." That absolutely broke my heart. My little girl seriously thought her caretaker was hurting her. I can not say how grateful I am for the medications that took away the pain and infections. She still has a long way to go until she is back to "normal" but atleast we can take the pain away for her. John and I are so thankful for the good health that our girls have and our hearts go out to any parents who are watching their children suffer from any kind of illness.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Poor thing! I know how it feels to not be able to take your childs pain away and it is so heart breaking as a mom! I hope she can heel up soon, for everyones sake :)

Ben and Marcie said...

I'm glad to hear she is feeling better, poor little thing! That breaks my heart!! Give her hugs and kisses for me!

lovebeingamom said...

I already knew the story and I'm sitting here bawling as I am reading this! Tell her we love her!

eryka said...

Wow. I'm so glad she's feeling a little better. I hope you've been able to rest too!

Kimberly Lee said...

Oh my gosh, Amanda!! I am so sorry. :( Poor baby girl. I would die. It is the worst to see your children in pain. I am so glad she's feeling a little better and you can get some sleep. If you need anything let me know.

Ballard Family said...

oh gosh!!! That is awful amanda, I'm so sorry! Glad she is doing better! That is just crazy!~ How are you guys doing (other than that) anyway?

Derk and Ashley said...

Bless that sweet little girls heart! What a mommy nightmare, I feel for you!