Saturday, April 6, 2013

5th Grade Science Fair

 While we were off track we tackled the dreaded science fair project.  Brilynn choose to test different  laundry soaps to see which detergent worked the best.  She also wanted to see if the price of the detergent determined the effectiveness of it. Her hypothesis was "I think that Tide will work the best because it is the most expensive."  This is what she wrote for her experience "I took clean white rags.  I placed one stain on each rag. The stain was either 1 tsp. of ketchup, 1 tsp of vanilla, 1 tsp of grape juice, or 1 swipe of mascara. I let the stains sit for 12 hours.  Then I washed the 4 rags with a large towel on a normal hot cycle using the recommended amount of detergent.  I did this for each of the 4 detergents. After washing the rags I let them air dry.  Once all the rags were washed and dried I was able to compare the rags to see what detergent worked the best to  remove the stains. " What she learned. "Not all alundry soaps work the same. Some clean clothes better than others. Just because it is the most expensive detergent does not mean it will work the best." The results "The oxyclean detergent had the best results." Conclusion "Oxyclean was the 2nd most expensive and Tide was the most expensive.  Cost does not determine it's effectiveness.
 She took white cloths and but a teaspoon of ketchup



The day after the science fair they had an assembly to annouce the winners.  Brilynn was so excited for this assembly and really really wanted to win.  There were about 10 winners from the 5th grade and she happened to be one of them.  I haven't seen her that excited in a long time.  She was called up to the stage and given a medal for her Awesome Project.

No comments: